Monday, August 9, 2010

Progress photos

I've started my first 'formal' piece in oil this weekend. I say formal, because it's on gallery canvas, and it's 12 x 12" - so it's an investment in materials, and the largest oil to date that I have attempted.


The sketch. I felt that I needed to plan this piece more than the others, since it was larger and is more complex. (Well, to me it seems like it will be more complex)


I do hope that this piece does not end up in limbo...I have a few smaller canvas boards, where the process just halted because I don't know what to do with them, or I think I should develop my skills further before progressing with certain aspects.


To me, the sky is the easier part of the painting right now. I do it first since it's the 'furthest' back in the piece, so the more challenging parts are ahead of me.

I really do hope that I'm not biting off more than I can handle with this piece! But I'm finding it easier to work on a larger scale.

1 comment:

  1. That sky looks amazing so far! I LOVE oil. 12x12 is the largest you've done? Oh do something HUGE! You will get extra messy and have sooo much more fun :) My first piece was about 28x32 I think.
    Good luck, I can't wait to see how this turns out :)

    ReplyDelete