Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hearts Hung Out Part 1


It's the beginning of a new year, and this is my first oil painting! It's from a picture that I told in my Mom's garden one summer of her bleeding heart flowers (also know as: Venus' car, Dutchman's trousers or Lady in a bath). I've always loved playing with this flowers as a kid, and thought they would make a perfect subject.

I was initially inspired by a Vincent van Gogh painting, Irises:

It was the heavier outlines within the painting that prompted me to try some sort of style of the like, but with my own twist. The heavier lines and simplified imagery is a bit more modern.

Here's a close up: (You can click it to make it a lot bigger :)

My other 'in progress' paintings have somewhat hit dead-ends. I know I will continue them again soon. But, I have been intensely occupied with studying for my provincial certification exam - in one week! Eek! - as well as packing up holiday orders, and completing new watercolor commission pieces. That being said, I've been very engaged and motivated with this piece, so I feel that it will be completed shortly. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment